Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Writing Gaming Material For Fun And Profit

Last week, I had my disability physical with the Veterans Administration.  It turns out I have degenerative arthritis in my neck, back, and knees.  My hand is still fractured from an injury from late 2008.  I've also got chronic acid reflux (as do many of my fellow service members who were exposed to burning trash - Go KBR!) which will pretty much keep me up at night if I don't take my daily Prilosec.

Ah, the spine of the ex-paratrooper.
What all of this means is that I am pretty much unhireable in any of the traditional jobs you have when you are in college.  Fortunately, the Post-9/11 G.I. Bill is robust enough to keep my bills paid while I am in school.  Still, you sometimes need to do a little more than pay bills.

All of that said, I've debated trying my hand at commercial product to bring in a little supplemental beer money.  Back when I was pretty active in the Twilight :2013 community, I got to talk quite a bit to one of the developers, Clayton Oliver, who mentioned that in all of his years of working for White Wolf and AEG, he never brought in five figures from the RPG job.  I am imagining that you pretty much need to run the company to make any meaningful money in the industry.

Fortunately, I'm not looking to make meaningful money.  I'm going to school to be a Clinical Psychologist.  I am guessing that pays better than an RPG mogul any day of the week.  I'm just curious what some of your experiences are with "the industry."

6 comments:

  1. You can make more money doing pretty much anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn. I hope you can get some treatment that brings you a bit of relief. I decided to stop being such a whining bitch about turning 40 and to instead be grateful for my health.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've made a bit of scratch selling articles, but it's not regular enough to live on. You might see who is publishing for your game-of-choice, find out if they need or are interested in adventures and the like, and see if you can sell them the stuff you're already making for your regular gaming.

    Best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry to hear about your joints man - I have degen disc disease, plus other crap, so I know of what you speak. Best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Guess it's mostly for fun then.
    Looking forward to your A to Z posts!

    ReplyDelete
  6. DR EMU YOU ARE REALLY GREAT. I WILL KEEP COMING TO YOU WHEN EVER I NEED YOUR HELP.
    WEBSITE: HTTPS://EMUTEMPLE.WORDPRESS.COM 
    WHATS APP: +2347012841542

    I want to thank DR EMU for the wonderful work he done for me and my family, i was having a serious breakup with my ex but when i contacted him for help he brought him back to me with his historical powers, and also helping me to get a job, since he cast his spell for me things has really be good to me and since i know him my husband has been faithful to me, well i will say that this man is a really great spell caster that every one must contact for help, if you are facing breakup or marriage problem just contact this man for help he will help you settle everything with his power, please contact him on his email: emutemple@gmail.com once you contact him all your problems will be solve.

    ReplyDelete